Being a historic riverside town, Erith has always had a close affinity with rowing, from the wherries used to unload ships in the Middle Ages right through to Erith Rowing Club’s racing activities of the present day. Many older residents of the town can remember the Erith Town Regatta, which started in the 1890s and was held each August Bank Holiday until the 1950s. Local Social Clubs, pubs and firms from the area would have a few scoops and race each other regularly at weekends. There was always great competition between the apprentices of Frasers and Vickers with big write-ups in the local papers. Erith Rowing Club was founded in 1943 and remains the only Rowing Club on the Thames between Greenwich, and the last club on the estuary at Gravesend.